Learn more about some of the top hikes in the region while climbing each with a group in the Roanoke Seven Summits program.
Hikes start Sept. 6 and challenge you to reach the summits of seven Roanoke mountains over the course of seven weeks.
The program, offered by Roanoke Parks and Recreation, is modeled after the international mountaineering challenge of climbing the highest mountain on each of the seven continents.
The Seven Summits journey will take hikers to the top of Mill Mountain, Poor Mountain, Read Mountain, Brushy Mountain, Dragon’s Tooth, Tinker Cliffs, and McAfee Knob. Hikes are offered on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays and registration is just $55 for all seven weeks. (The fee includes instruction, transportation from Roanoke, and entry into a weekly giveaway.) If you can’t work those days into your schedule, you can hike on your own for $9 registration and still earn other program perks.
Roanoke Seven Summits
- Mill Mountain: 2.4 miles, easy to moderate
- Poor Mountain: 3.8 miles, moderate
- Read Mountain: 3.8 miles, moderate
- Brushy Mountain: 5.2 miles, difficult
- Dragon’s Tooth: 4.6 miles, moderate to difficult
- Tinker Cliffs: 6.6 miles, difficult
- McAfee Knob: 7 miles, moderate to difficult