Safety First Day–FREE ADMISSION!!
Saturday, August 18
Safety Exhibits 10-3; Museum open 10-5
Sponsored by BB&T, Grand Home Furnishings, and The Hotel Roanoke
A day designed to encourage children and adults to stay safe and alive! Scheduled before the start of the school year, the day will feature child, traffic, pedestrian, fire and rail safety.
- Check out Peer Awareness’ texting-and-driving simulator sponsored by BB&T.
- Got a kindergartener? Let your child climb aboard a school bus before that first day of school, courtesy of Mountain Valley Transport, and learn important bus safety rules.
- AAA is bringing an air bag demonstrator–what happens to a child when an airbag deploys?
- The Virginia State Police will be here with their HEAT (Help Eliminate Auto Theft) Truck, engraving VIN numbers to help your car be recovered if stolen.
- Salem City Police will present their texting and driving program.
- Roanoke City Police will be presenting their COPS outreach program with safety information including bike safety–check out their police car!
- Everybody loves fire trucks, and the Roanoke City Fire Department is bringing one of theirs.
- Bedford Police will teach safe surfing and cyber-safety.
- YOVASO (Youth of Virginia Speaking Out) wil have special activities for teens.
- AARP will present “It’s Time to Talk,” their special program for older drivers.
- The American Red Cross will bring their massive disaster assistance truck. Learn how they keep people safe!
- The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute will show examples of cutting edge safety technology and the future of driver safety.
- The SPCA will teach children the safe way to approach a strange dog–and, yes, they are bringing a dog!
- Operation Lifesaver will be on site to promote rail safety.
- TWO fabulous face-painters!!
- The Safety Car Theatre will show “Coming Home,” the story of the Class J 611 engine all day. Docents will be available in the Rail Yard to answer questions and tell stories.
- Water provided by Grand Home Furnishings will be available free all day. Food may be purchased from Country Cookin’.
- Limited free parking will be available in the Brandon Lot in front of the Museum. Click here for other parking options, including the Campbell Garage (335 Campbell Ave) across the street which is free on Saturdays.
- Activities and presenters subject to change, based on emergencies. If something in Roanoke catches fire, that fire truck will have to go!